Gutierrez gets new chassis for Monaco ePrix

Gutierrez gets new chassis for Monaco ePrix
By AutoSport

13/05/2017 at 11:04Updated

Ex-Formula 1 driver Esteban Gutierrez is using a new chassis in the Monaco ePrix.

The Techeetah driver made his debut in the electric single-seater series at his home event in Mexico City last month.

Gutierrez scored a point in Mexico but also reported a handling imbalance, which the team suspects is because of chassis damage caused by crashes suffered by Gutierrez's predecessor Ma Qing Hua.

Under Article 28.2 of the sporting regulations, drivers are limited to one 'survival cell' per car across the entire season.

Techeetah made a request to the stewards to change the cell for the Monaco race and receive a new chassis, which was approved despite the request coming late.

"He was reporting some problems with the chassis and we didn't get it fixed in time," said Techeetah team principal Mark Preston.

"It's around the front-left suspension and it's taken a bit longer than we wanted to sort it."

Techeetah now needs to get the chassis repaired for next month's Berlin event, although supplier Spark and tub-builder Dallara will need to deem it suitable to race before it can be used again.

Gutierrez finished FP1 in Monaco eighth fastest, lapping within the same tenth as team-mate Jean-Eric Vergne in sixth.

"He's up there with JEV consistently," said Preston. "It bodes well. He's been taking it really seriously."

LOPEZ CLEARED TO CONTINUE

Jose Maria Lopez has been cleared to take part in the remainder of the Monaco event.

The DS Virgin Racing driver was assessed by the FIA's medical team after taking part in FP1, having recovered from two damaged vertebrae in a World Endurance Championship crash at Silverstone.

Lopez skipped the Spa WEC round last week as a precaution and was a doubt for the Monaco race, but set the fifth-fastest time in FP1 and will continue to drive for the rest of Saturday.

0
0