Winter sports news - Aleksander Aamodt Kilde wins downhill at Val Gardena, Gisin in horror crash
Norway’s Aleksander Aamodt Kilde was victorious in the men’s downhill in the World Cup at Val Gardena on Saturday.
Finishing in a time of 1:56.13, he was 0.86 ahead of second place Max Franz of Austria, who previously took one of the fastest times during training earlier in the week.
Swuitzerland’s Beat Feuz came in third 0.92 behind the winner.
Victor of yesterday’s Super G competition and four time Winter Olympic medalist, Aksel Lund Svindal finished in seventh place.
There was a brief interruption after a nasty crash by Marc Gisin as he lost control halfway down and landed heavily on his back and side.
The Swiss racer hit the piste hard again after bouncing and had to be airlifted to hospital.
Initial reports suggest he is conscious and stable with nursing a fractured pelvis.
1. KILDE Aleksander Aamodt (NOR): 1:56.13
2. FRANZ Max (AUT): +0.86
3. FEUZ Beat (SUI): +0.92
4. BENNETT Bryce (USA): +0.98
5. NYMAN Steven (USA): +1.01
6. GANONG Travis (USA): +1.05
7. SVINDAL Aksel Lund (NOR): +1.08
8.CAVIEZEL Mauro (SUI): +1.12
9. THEAUX Adrien (FRA): +1.17
10. THOMSEN Benjamin (CAN): +1.31
10. REICHELT Hannes (AUT): +1.31