Geoghegan Hart earns first pro win in the Alps
Tao Geoghegan Hart took his first professional victory with a late burst on Stage 1 at the Tour of the Alps.
The Team Sky rider, 24, smartly attacked just as the course narrowed for the finish, leaving a large group behind him squabbling for clear road. Alex Aranburu took second with Roland Thalmann third.
Vincenzo Nibali (Bahrain-Merida) attacked on the second ascent of Hinterthiersee towards the finale of the 144km opening stage, with Team Sky’s Hart and Pavel Sivakov and Bora-hansgrohe's Rafal Majka soon making it front quartet.
However, a headwind descent invited a straggling pack back into the race as a flurry of riders made late moves.
And it was Geoghegan Hart who took victory, showing experience beyond his tender years to move before the claustrophobic finale.
Chris Froome is racing alongside him in the Alps as the six-time Grand Tour winner steps up his preparations for the Tour de France in July. He will not defend his title at the Giro d’Italia next month.
Stage 1 results
- 1 Tao Geoghegan Hart (GBr) Team Sky 3:30:48
- 2 Alex Aranburu (Spa) Caja Rural-Seguros RGA
- 3 Roland Thalmann (Swi) Team Vorarlberg Santic)
- 4 Pello Bilbao (Spa) Astana Pro Team
- 5 Nikita Stalnov (Kaz) Astana Pro Team
- 6 Chris Froome (GBr) Team Sky
- 7 Aleksandr Vlasov (Rus) Gazprom–Rusvelo
- 8 Rafal Majka (Pol) Bora-Hansgrohe
- 9 Giovanni Carboni (Ita) Bardiani CSF
- 10 Dayer Quintana (Col) Neri Sottoli–Selle Italia–KTM