Ilkay Gundogan double helps Manchester City dominate Basel
Champions League, St. Jakob-Park - Basel 0 Manchester City 4 (Gundogan 14', 53' B. Silva 18', Aguero 23')
Manchester City will take a four-goal lead into the second leg of their Champions League tie with Basel after goals from Ilkay Gundogan, Bernado Silva and Sergio Aguero at St. Jakob-Park.
Basel threatened in the opening minutes with a brace of counter attacks that could have lead to the first goal. However, the visitors soon settled and took the lead when Kevin De Bruyne swung City’s fourth corner of the game in the direction of Gundogan, who powerfully glanced a header past Czech goalkeeper Thomas Vaclik.
The lead was doubled minutes later thanks to more superb build-up work from De Bruyne: the Belgian’s incisive through-ball to Raheem Sterling was crossed into the box, where an unmarked Bernardo looped it over the helpless goalkeeper.
Ilkay Gündogan playing for Manchester City against FC Basel.Eurosport
The third of the evening came as Fernandinho was dispossessed on the edge of the Basel area. The loose ball feel in the path of Sergio Aguero, who wasted no time in dispatching a 20-yard shot into the bottom-left corner.
The Argentinean has scored in all four Champions League away games in which he has played this season.
Ilkay Gündogan celebratesEurosport
TALKING POINT: Manchester City are in the Champions League driving seat
Guardiola's side went into this game as tournament favourites with the bookmakers- and this dominant performance will have consoldated their claim to a first Champions League title.
Basel have traditionally provided a stumbling block for English sides, elminating Manchester United, Liverpool and Tottenham from European competiton in recent seasons. The Citizens easily brushed them aside, marking the third occasions on which they have have scored four goals in a Champions League game this season.
City have stumbled many times in this competiton in the last decade, but all signs suggest they can live up to their potential this year.
MAN OF THE MATCH: Ilkay Gundogan
Sergio Aguero was typically sublime, but the evening belonged to Gundogan, who contributed 50% of the goals and a large proportion of City’s excellent build-up play.
- 14 - GOAL! Lacroix heads a Delph long ball clear for a corner. De Bruyne swings it in and Gundogan puts it in the net with a bullet header!
- 19 - GOAL! De Bruyne beautifully picks out a Sterling run on the left of the area. He, in turn, crosses to an unmarked Bernardo Silva. The Portuguese collects and loops the ball over the 'keeper!
- 23 - GOAL! Fernandinho loses possession around 25 yards out and the loose ball falls to Aguero, who has time and space to smash a long-range shot into the bottom-left corner.
- Five of Man City’s 17 Champions League goals have come in the opening 15 minutes, and 14 have come in the 88th minute or later.
- Sergio Agüero has scored 14 goals in 11 competitive appearances in 2018.
- Kevin De Bruyne has 19 assists in all competitions this season. That’s five more than any other Premier League player.