Ajax will be missing a host of first-team players for their Champions League encounter with FC Midtjylland after Covid-19 ripped through the club.
The Eredivisie side confirmed that a reduced squad would travel to Denmark without providing any further details but De Telegraaf – under the headline ‘New corona explosion hits Ajax’ – report that Erik ten Hag will be without Dusan Tadic, Davy Klaassen, André Onana, Maarten Stekelenburg and Ryan Gravenberch for the match.
The paper adds that 11 players from the Ajax first team and the youth team tested positive, with the club awaiting results on secondary tests.
Manchester United to miss out on £100,000-a-week Maddison - Paper Round
Coach Erik ten Hag confirmed at his press conference on Monday that players had to be left behind because of positive Covid-19 tests.
However, he said he could not speak about individual cases because of privacy laws.
The coach said Ajax players were tested on Monday and the club had been in discussion through the day with various authorities about who could travel to Denmark.
He also said he was hopeful some of those left behind might be allowed to travel on Tuesday to join up with the rest of the squad as Ajax look for their first win in Group D.
“There are a few players who can play in the Netherlands but did not get permission to enter Denmark and it’s a bit strange," he said.
They have no symptoms or complaints. If they might still be able to play rests in the hands of the medical personnel and the authorities. I have strong hope that they can play but I am not sure.
“There are whole lot of different rules between different countries, even within the European Union. The players we have here are good players. Some might have to play out of position but we are fit and ready to play," he added.
“I understand the Covid rules are tough but we must also be thankful that we can play.”
With additional reporting from Reuters
Allardyce concerned by Everton's long injury list
Wayne Rooney on target again as Everton play out draw with Genk