PA Sport

Twente president resigns as KNVB probe club over potential transfer impropriety

Twente president resigns as club face league expulsion over transfer revelations
By Reuters

25/11/2015 at 11:32Updated 25/11/2015 at 12:33

Aldo van der Laan has resigned as president of Dutch club Twente Enschede amid accusations the club breached the Dutch football association's (KNVB) rules.

Cash-strapped Twente confirmed the resignation in a statement on their website on Wednesday.

"The interests of the club have always been paramount and these are now under threat. The continuing doubts are damaging FC Twente," the statement said.

Local media had earlier reported that leaked documents from Twente suggested the club had entered into an agreement with an investment company that contravened KNVB rules.

The association has called in their licensing commission to investigate.

"The contract published seems to differ from what we know," KNVB spokesman Hans van Kastel told reporters.

If found guilty, Twente face punishments ranging from a fine to a points deduction, relegation to the second tier or potentially the cancellation of their license to operate in the top two tiers of Dutch football.

Struggling Twente sold a number of their players in the last transfer window to try and cut costs, including Mexican forward Jesus Corona to FC Porto for around £8.5 million.

The leaked documents suggested that the club had become involved in arrangements with a third-party investment in deals involving players including Kyle Ebecilio, Younes Mokhtar and Dusan Tadic - who moved to Southampton in 2014.

They are currently one point above the relegation playoff positions having lost their last four games and suffered a 5-0 drubbing at Feyenoord last weekend.

0
0