Sam Clucas nets double as Arsenal suffer defensive horror show
Premier League, Liberty Stadium - Swansea City 3 (Clucas 34' 87', Ayew 61') Arsenal 1 (Monreal 33')
Swansea's Sam Clucas netted a brace as Arsenal suffered a defensive horror show in a chaotic 3-1 defeat at the Liberty Stadium.
Another wantaway player, Mesut Ozil, put the visitors ahead with a smart pass to Nacho Monreal at the back post, but Sam Clucas hit back just a minute later.
Arsenal's Armenian midfielder Henrikh Mkhitaryan (C) comes on as a substitute to make his Arsenal debut during the English Premier League football match between Swansea City and Arsenal at The Liberty Stadium in Swansea, south Wales on January 30, 2018.Getty Images
Ayew grabbed the lead for the home side when Petr Cech sliced a clearance straight into his path.
In the second half, Mkhitaryan was introduced on the hour mark, and Giroud came on with 15 minutes remaining for what might be his last appearance for the club.
Clucas grabbed the third goal to seal a famous victory that sees Swansea move out of the bottom three above Stoke City on goal difference and leaves Arsenal in sixth spot.
TALKING POINT - ARE THE WHEELS FALLING OVER ARSENAL?
Arsenal's defence was a complete mess, but that isn't very new. However, Alexandre Lacazette was poor, and with the sale of Olivier Giroud, it puts a lot of pressure on the incoming Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang. Henrikh Mkhitaryan is no leader and Mesut Ozil might not be at the club for many more months. The swap of Alexis Sanchez for Mkhitaryan was a sensible one, but much more seems to be needed.
MAN OF THE MATCH - JORDAN AYEW (SWANSEA)
His brother will soon be joining from West Ham, and tonight was one of his best displays for the club so far. He attacked from deep, and then from wide, and left Arsenal in trouble from the very start.
He seized on Petr Cech's defensive error and set up the third. But Swansea need more of this if they are to stand a chance of survival.
Olivier Giroud of Arsenal (L) and Henrikh Mkhitaryan (R) are seen on the bench prior to the Premier League match between Swansea City and Arsenal at Liberty Stadium on January 30, 2018 in Swansea, Wales.Getty Images
- Swansea City: Fabianski 6, Naughton 6, Van Der Hoorn 6, Fernandez 6, Mawson 6, Olsson 7, Clucas 8, Ki 6, Fer 6, Dyer 7, Ayew 8. Subs: Routledge 5, Bony 5
- Arsenal: Cech 4, Bellerin 6, Mustsafi 5, Koscielny 5, Monreal 6, Elneny 5, Xhaka 5, Ramsey 5, Iwobi 5, Ozil 6, Lacazette 5. Subs: Mkhitaryan 6, Giroud 6.
- 28' - MAWSON CHANCE - Fer tees up Mawson on the edge of the box. He tries to curl a shot into the far post, and it's deflected just wide of the goal.
- 30' - FABIANSKI SAVE - Fabianski gets a hand to a fierce shot from Iwobi after he was slipped into the box.
- 33' - GOAL! Swansea 0-1 Arsenal. Monreal scores - Ozil has the ball on the right of the box, and looks up. He spots a Monreal run from the back of the box, to the back post, and Ozil curls in a lovely ball that Monreal prods in on the half-volley.
- 34' - GOAL! Swansea 1-1 Arsenal. Clucas scores - Dearie me, Arsenal. Mawson intercepts the ball 40 yards out, he plays in Clucas ahead of him who takes the ball into the box and finishes smartly past Cech.
- 61' - GOAL! Swansea 2-1 Arsenal. Ayew scores - Cech sizes up a back pass as he looks to clear. He completely slices it, straight to Ayew, who calmly plops it into the net. Dearie, dearie me.
- 86' - GOAL! Swansea 3-1 Arsenal. Clucas scores - Game over, man, game over! Ayew drives to the byline, towards the six-yard box and is tackled. The ball runs to Clucas and he flicks it in to the near post.
- Carlos Carvalhal is just the fifth manager to win his first two matches against Arsene Wenger's Arsenal in all competitions (also Alex Ferguson, Luis Enrique, John Gregory and Roy Evans
- Swansea have won consecutive Premier League games for the first time this season.
- Carlos Carvalhal is just the fifth manager to win his first two matches against Arsene Wenger's Arsenal in all competitions (also Alex Ferguson, Luis Enrique, John Gregory and Roy Evans).
- Arsenal have accrued 13 points from their 13 away games this season; only in 2005/06 had they won fewer points on the road at this stage of a Premier League season (12).
- Arsenal have lost 15 points from winning positions this season in the Premier League; only Watford have dropped more (16).
- Nacho Monreal has netted four goals in his 21 Premier League games this season, after managing just one in his previous five top-flight campaigns with Arsenal (134 games).
- Since his Premier League debut in September 2013, Mesut Ozil has registered 49 assists, five more than any other player.
- All three of Sam Clucas’s top-flight goals for Swansea have come against Arsenal, and have come with his only three shots on target for the Welsh side in the Premier League.
- Jordan Ayew has been involved in more Premier League goals for Swansea than any other player this season (5 goals, 2 assists), with all seven of his goal involvements coming in the second half.