30 – Years since their last title win
The number you will see everywhere. The 30-year wait is over. Since 1990 Liverpool had some near misses, but it was to be three decades before another top-flight title.
- Liverpool finally crowned champions after 30-year wait, as City lose to Chelsea
- A Premier League title five years in the making: How Liverpool became champions again
11,016 – Days since their last title win
If we’re being even more precise, there were 11,016 days between April 28, 1990 – the day of their First Division triumph – and June 25, 2020, the day Manchester City failed to beat Chelsea, allowing Liverpool to confirm the title.
5 – Runners-up finishes since the 1990 title
Liverpool finished runners-up in 1990-91, 2001-02, 2008-09, 2013-14 and 2018-19.
4 – Years Klopp said it would take for Liverpool to win title
It turned out to be five… but Klopp will be forgiven. The German, in his first press conference when appointed Liverpool boss in October 2015, said he was “pretty sure” he could steer the club to league glory if given the time.
"It is all the people are interested in but you don't take history in your backpack and carry it with you for 25 years. We can wait for it but I don't want to say we can wait 20 years,” he said.
"If we sit here in four years I think we'll have won one title - I'm pretty sure. If not, the next one may be in Switzerland."
17 - Trophies between title wins
It was not all doom and doom during those 30 years, with the club winning almost everything else:
- Two Champions Leagues – 2005, 2019
- One FIFA Club World Cup – 2019
- One UEFA Cup – 2001
- Three FA Cups – 1992, 2001, 2006
- Four League Cups – 1995, 2001, 2003, 2012
- Three UEFA Super Cups – 2001, 2005, 2019
- Three FA Community/Charity Shields – 1990 (shared), 2001, 2006
Gerrard - Liverpool-Milan - Champions League 2004/2005 - Getty Images
Image credit: Getty Images
7 – The in-between managers
After Kenny Dalglish led Liverpool to the First Division title in 1990, and before Jurgen Klopp walked through the doors in 2015, there were seven managers who tried and failed to bring the league title to Anfield, with a returning Dalglish among them:
- Graeme Souness: 1991-94
- Roy Evans: 1994-98
- Gerard Houllier: 1998-2004 (Joint manager with Evans in 1998)
- Rafa Benitez: 2004-10
- Roy Hodgson: 2010-11
- Kenny Dalglish: 2011-12
- Brendan Rodgers: 2012-15