Formula 1

F1 could manage to race even with Covid-19 cases, says FIA

Share this with
Copy
Share this article

Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team's British driver Lewis Hamilton raises his arm as he passes the chequered flag to win the British Formula One Grand Prix at the Silverstone circuit in Silverstone on July 5, 2015.

Image credit: Getty Images

ByReuters
19/05/2020 at 18:31 | Updated 19/05/2020 at 18:38

Formula One could cope with up to 10 positive tests for COVID-19 when the sport starts the season in July, according to the chairman of the governing FIA's medical commission.

Professor Gerard Saillant told Sky Sports the sport would still need a 'red line', however, beyond which racing could not continue.

The planned March 15 season-opener in Australia was cancelled after a McLaren team employee tested positive.

Austrian Grand Prix

Austrian health minister gives OK to crowd-free Formula 1

AN HOUR AGO

"I think the situation is quite different between Melbourne and Austria now," said Saillant. "The knowledge of the virus is quite different. It is possible to prevent and to anticipate a lot of things.

"If we have one positive case, or maybe even 10, it is possible to manage perfectly with a special pathway for the positive case."

Saillant recognised the sporting and media reaction might be harder to deal with.

"We have to try to anticipate that, to know where the red line is beyond which it is impossible to continue. But I think it is not a problem for us now," he said.

Formula One is planning to hold two races behind closed doors in Austria in early July, with teams flown in on charter flights, tested regularly and isolated from the local population.

The teams would also be kept separate from each other and staff kept to a minimum, with no sponsors or guests allowed to attend.

The teams had already gathered in Australia when that race was called off before first practice at Albert Park.

FIA president Jean Todt said it would be unfair to attach any blame for what happened but lessons would be learned.

"We want to make sure that arriving to the first event on the 2020 calendar, we don't face another unpredictable situation and we have experts working on that," said the Frenchman.

Formula 1

Mercedes has 'clear intention' to continue in F1 for years

19 HOURS AGO
Formula 1

Motor racing-Mercedes has 'clear intention' to continue in F1 for years

20 HOURS AGO
Related Topics
Formula 1
Share this with
Copy
Share this article

Latest News

Austrian Grand Prix

Austrian health minister gives OK to crowd-free Formula 1

AN HOUR AGO

Latest Videos

Formula 1

'Racing without fans makes me feel empty' - Hamilton on behind-closed door races in 2020

00:01:30

Most popular

Transfers

The future Galacticos joining Hazard in Real Madrid’s major reshuffle – Euro Papers

28/05/2020 AT 11:24
View more