Snooker news - Ronnie O'Sullivan breezes into last 32 of Northern Ireland Open
Ronnie O'Sullivan eased into the last 32 of the Northern Ireland Open with a 4-1 win over Mei Xi Wen in Belfast.
The five-times world champion O'Sullivan did not need to be in top gear as he produced breaks of 119 and 54 to overwhelm the world number 85.
There were a few incredible shots on show with O'Sullivan somehow hitting the blue from his break-off shot at the start of the third frame before making the 972nd century break of his career.
He will face Tom Ford in the last 32 after his 4-3 win over Chris Wakelin.
World number five Judd Trump made sparkling runs of 137, 55, 53, 51 and 69 to overwhelm Stuart Carrington 4-0 a year after losing 4-2 to the same player in the first round of the Belfast event.
Ali Carter completed a 4-3 win over defending champion Mark Williams after trailing 3-1 in an error-strewn last-64 clash.
Two-time World Championship finalist Carter won the first frame with a break of 65 only for Williams to win three straight frames to leave himself one from the winning post.
But such was the turgid nature of the contest, far removed from Williams' 13-8 quarter-final win on his way to winning the World Championship for a third time in May, Carter scrapped his way back into the contest, finally scrambling over the line with both men missing several scoring chances.
Carter will face Xiao Guodong in the last 32 on Thursday.
World number one Mark Selby was in imperious form in completing a 4-0 drubbing of European Masters winner Jimmy Robertson, who crashed out despite a 100% pot success rate.
Selby hit back to win the first frame from 41-0 behind before breaks of 128, 127 and helped him coast into the last 32 in only 54 minutes. Selby will face Hamza Akbar in the last 32 after his 4-3 win over Alexander Ursenbacher.
2002 world champion Peter Ebdon was involved in a titanic struggle with Lee Walker in the second round as he completed a 4-3 win with Walker recording an average shot time of 40.1 seconds.
Ebdon enjoyed runs of 80, 50, 77 and 53 with an average shot time of 30.1 seconds.
SECOND ROUND RESULTS
- Mark Williams 3-4 Ali Carter
- Sunny Akani 3-4 Xiao Guodong
- Nigel Bond 2-4 Joe Swail
- Michael White 2-4 Eden Sharav
- Sam Craigie 2-4 Li Hang
- Kurt Maflin 3-4 Neil Robertson
- Mark Davis 4-1 Lui Honghao
- Peter Ebdon 4-3 Lee Walker
- Judd Trump 4-0 Stuart Carrington
- Liam Highfield 3-4 Jack Lisowski
- Luca Brecel 4-0 Ian Burns
- Daniel Wells 3-4 Gary Wilson
- Robin Hull 4-1 Tian Pengfei
- Zhang Anda 3-4 Ryan Day
- Yuan Sijun 3-4 Andrew Higginson
- Billy Joe Castle 4-1 Rory McLeod
- Ronnie O'Sullivan 4-1 Mei Xi Wen
- Chris Wakelin 3-4 Tom Ford
- Michael Holt 4-3 Mark King
- Zhou Yuelong 4-0 Kishian H Hirani
- Alan McManus 1-4 Lu Ning
- Hammad Miah 4-0 Niu Zhuang
- Matthew Stevens 4-1 Gerard Greene
- David Gilbert 4-2 Chen Zifan
- Sam Baird 3-3 Chris Totten
- Thepchaiya Un-Nooh 4-0 Ross Muir
- Peter Lines 2-4 Robbie Williams
- Sean O'Sullivan 3-4 Sanderson Lam
- David Lilley 2-4 Scott Donaldson
- Martin O'Donnell 4-1 Chen Feilong
- Alexander Ursenbacher 3-4 Hamza Akbar
- Mark Selby 4-0 Jimmy Robertson