Luca Brecel thrives in borrowed clothes as Mark Selby survives scare
Mark Selby was forced to the final frame before seeing off Chris Wakelin 5-4 to reach the last 32 of the Shanghai Masters.
Selby had appeared to be coasting through with breaks of 74, 64 and 51 – enough to counter efforts of 54 and 50 from fellow Englishman Wakelin in establishing a 3-0 lead.
A couple of 58s from world number 63 Wakelin saw him close to 3-2 behind but a 51 from the world number one helped him move 4-2 ahead.
Rugby potter Wakelin was not finished with runs of 54, 54 and 51 forcing the decider that Selby largely dominated to progress to a meeting with Alan McManus, who overcame Dominic Dale 5-3 in a marathon contest that ran for three hours and 52 minutes that the Scotsman won with a closing breaks of 75 and 50 having trailed 4-3.
Luca Brecel – winner of the China Championship in August – dominated Matthew Stevens in a 5-0 victory after being left without his luggage at the local airport.
He was forced to borrow fellow professional Michael White's clothes and a pair of shoes, but looked very much himself in completing a comfortable success with knocks of 53, 53 and 57 against a fading opponent in former World Championship finalist Stevens.
John Higgins was a 5-1 victor against Ian Preece while Judd Trump enjoyed a 5-0 drubbing of Alfie Burden.
Four-times world champion Higgins made knocks of 87, 76 69 and 61 to progress at an event he won in 2012.
Trump enjoyed his latest outing with breaks of 58, 119 and 54 helping him ease through.
Latest results last 64
- Alfie Burden 0-5 Judd Trump
- Barry Hawkins 5-2 Daniel Wells
- Cao Yupeng 5-0 Michael Holt
- Yuan SiJun 4-5 Robbie Williams
- John Higgins 5-1 Ian Preece
- Liang Wenbo 5-2 John J Astley
- Akani Songsermsawad bt Stuart Bingham W/O
- Joe Perry 5-1 Matthew Selt
- Dominic Dale 4-5 Alan McManus
- Chris Wakelin 4-5 Mark Selby
- Mei Xi Wen 5-4 Adam Duffy
- Luca Brecel 5-0 Matthew Stevens
- Rory McLeod 4-5 Stephen Maguire
- Stuart Carrington 3-5 Ali Carter
- Li Yuan 0-5 Martin Gould
- Hossein Vafaei 0-5 Marco Fu
- Soheil Vahedi 3-5 Gerard Greene