Men's doubles world No. 1 Farah out of Australian Open

Men's doubles world No. 1 Farah out of Australian Open
By Reuters

14/01/2020 at 02:34Updated 14/01/2020 at 02:36

MELBOURNE, Jan 14 (Reuters) - Colombian Robert Farah, ranked world number one in men's doubles, has withdrawn from the Australian Open for personal reasons, tournament organisers said on Tuesday.

Canada-born Farah won Wimbledon and the U.S. Open doubles titles with long-time partner and fellow Colombian Juan Sebastian Cabal.

The pair, who made the 2018 doubles final at Melbourne Park and were awarded the ATP's doubles team of the year in 2019, had already pulled out of this week's Adelaide International warmup event.

A Tennis Australia spokeswoman told Reuters 32-year-old Farah's decision to pull out was not injury related.

Cabal, 33, was expected to remain in Melbourne and play in the doubles with another partner, she added.

The Australian Open starts on Monday.

(Reporting by Ian Ransom; Editing by Peter Rutherford)