Naomi Osaka, Sofia Kenin and Iga Swiatek withdraw from National Bank Open in Montreal after Tokyo 2020 Olympics
Three of the top 10 players in the world have confirmed they will not be playing at the National Bank Open in Montreal next week. Naomi Osaka, Iga Swiatek and Sofia Kenin have all withdrawn from the tournament. World No 2 Osaka reached the third round of the Tokyo 2020 Olympics while world No 6 Iga Swiatek made the second round.
TOKYO, JAPAN - JULY 25: Naomi Osaka of Team Japan plays a forehand during her Women's Singles First Round match against Saisai Zheng of Team China on day two of the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games at Ariake Tennis Park on July 25, 2021 in Tokyo, Japan.
World No 4 Kenin will also not play in Montreal as she looks to get back to full fitness.
“While I’m making progress, my foot injury is not where I need it to be to play at the highest level,” said the American. “I feel another week of recovery and rehab is necessary.”
Kenin’s last event was Wimbledon, where she was beaten in the second round, after she also pulled out of San Jose last week.
Osaka crashes out to clinical Vondrousova
Swiatek also cited the need for more time off as the reason behind her decision to not play in Montreal.
“The first part of the season was so intense that I need a couple of days off to rest and prepare for the next few months,” said the world No 6, who reached the second round of the women’s singles in Tokyo.
World No 3 Aryna Sabalenka will now be top seed in Montreal with Osaka out and world No 1 Ashleigh Barty not competing.
"Of course we are disappointed," said tournament director Eugene Lapierre. "But despite their withdrawals, we are still counting on exceptional players in the draw."