Tennis news - Venus Williams settles lawsuit after fatal car crash in 2017
Venus Williams has settled a lawsuit with the family of a 78-year-old man killed in a Florida car crash she was involved in last year.
According to Palm Beach court records, the wrongful death case was closed last Friday, though terms of the agreement between the tennis star and the estate of Jerome Barson were not included.
Barson was the passenger in a car being driven by his wife, Linda, in June 2017 as it hit the side of Williams’ sedan after she was forced to stop while trying to get across an intersection.
Barson died nearly two weeks after the crash but neither driver was charged as police said both had right of way.
Venus Williams against Svetlana KuznetsovaReuters
Williams had told police after the crash that she was attempting to get across the junction but had been forced to slow down due to a backlog of cars.
She was then left in the middle of the intersection as the light turned green for the Barsons' car.
Mr Barson sustained serious head injuries, while his wife cracked her sternum and had multiple broken bones.
Officer David Dowling, the lead investigator, said in his report that state law required that Williams exit the intersection.
Both parties reportedly paid the fees for their own attorney