Top seed Simona Halep OUT as top six fall in first week
Top seed Simona Halep blew a match point as she was stunned by Su-Wei Hsieh in the Wimbledon third round.
The Romanian, playing her first tournament since winning the French Open in June, failed to serve out the match before missing an opportunity on her opponent’s serve as SW19 conjured up another upset.
Hsieh simply refused to give up, eventually securing a gutsy 3-6 6-4 7-5 victory.
It means nine of the top 10 seeds have fallen in the first week, with seventh seed Karolina Pliskova the highest ranked woman left in the draw. Seven-time champion Serena Williams, the 25th seed, also remains in contention.
The unorthodox Hsieh fought back from 5-2 behind in the decider to complete the unlikely turnaround, digging deep at 0-30 when serving for a place in the last 16 with some stunning defensive play.
The world number 48 will face Slovakia’s Dominika Cibulkova, a 6-2 6-2 winner over 15th seed Elise Mertens, in the fourth round.
Wimbledon women's third round results
- No. 48 Hsieh Su-wei defeats No. 1 Simona Halep, 3-6, 6-4, 7-5
- No. 14 Daria Kasatkina defeats No. 17 Ashleigh Barty 7-5, 6-3
- No. 11 Angelique Kerber defeats No. 18 Naomi Osaka 6-2, 6-4
- Dominika Cibulkova defeats No. 15 Elise Mertens 6-2, 6-2
- Alison van Uytvanck defeats No. 28 Annett Kontaveit 6-2, 6-3
- Belinda Bencic defeats Carla Suarez Navarro 6-1, 7-6 (3)