Copa del Rey

Eto'o fires Mallorca to first King's Cup success

Share this with
Share this article
28/06/2003 at 21:30

Cameroon striker Samuel Eto'o played a starring role in Real Mallorca's first King's Cup success as he grabbed two superbly struck goals that helped his side to a 3-0 win over Recreativo Huelva in Saturday's final.

The win means that the islanders, who beat Real Madrid and last season's winners Deportivo Coruna on their way to the final, now join Valencia and Barcelona to complete Spain's trio of representatives in next season's UEFA Cup.

Uruguayan striker Walter Pandiani put the islanders ahead on 21 minutes when he smashed home a penalty after Eto'o was hauled down on the goal line by Recre defender Loren.

Copa del Rey

Recreativo on course for place in King's Cup final

06/02/2003 AT 23:21

Man of the match Eto'o, who will fly to Paris on Sunday morning to play for Cameroon in the Confederations Cup final against hosts France, then struck twice late in the second half to wrap up the victory.

It was third time lucky for the islanders who finished as runners-up in their previous two Cup final appearances, losing out 1-0 to Atletico Madrid in 1991 and then in a penalty shootout to Barcelona in 1998.

For Recreativo it was a disappointing end to a season in which they were also relegated to division two after just one campaign in the top flight, but it did not stop their supporters from joining the Mallorca fans in their celebrations at the end.

Recre started the match in promising fashion but struggled to cope with the islanders' pacy attack and Mallorca's opener followed a slick passing move just after the 20-minute mark.


Argentine midfielder Ariel Ibagaza carved open the Recre defence with a sharp ball down the left wing to Pandiani, who clipped a teasing cross towards strike partner Eto'o.

But before the Cameroon international could make contact he was hauled down by Recre defender Loren on the goal line.

Pandiani stepped up to take the penalty and sent goalkeeper Luque the wrong way to the delight of the 15,000 Mallorca fans packed into one end of the Martinez Valero stadium.

Recre had the ball in the net in the final minute of the half when substitute Xisco headed home at the far post, but the effort was ruled out for a foul by the pocket-sized striker.

The Andalucians continued to push hard for an equaliser after the restart but were unable to cope as Mallorca made the most of the gaps they left at the back.

Eto'o made certain of victory by grabbing a late double.

His first came on 74 minutes when he raced on to a fine through ball from Albert Riera and drilled under Luque and inside the post.

Ten minutes later he struck again, this time completing a swift counter attack by swerving past two defenders and firing home with a powerful angled shot.

Eto'o was substituted just before the end and left the pitch to a standing ovation as he pointed skywards in memory of his Cameroon team mate Marc-Vivien Foe, who collapsed and died after Thursday's Confederations Cup semi-final win over Colombia.

Copa del Rey

Cup holders Deportivo aiming for flying start

04/02/2003 AT 16:47
Copa del Rey

Deportivo aiming for flying start in semis

04/02/2003 AT 12:48
Related Topics
FootballCopa del Rey
Share this with
Share this article