World number one Novak Djokovic will not defend his Madrid Open title next week as he decided against travelling for the ATP Masters 1000 event, organisers said on Wednesday.
The 33-year-old was last seen in action on his home soil at the Serbia Open last week, where he reached the semi-finals before losing to Russia's Aslan Karatsev.
"Sorry that I won't be able to travel to Madrid this year and meet all my fans," Djokovic said in a message shared by the Madrid Open organisers on Twitter.
Tokyo 2020
‘I don’t understand’ - Djokovic and Medvedev call for matches to be moved due to Tokyo heat
24/07/2021 AT 14:52
"It's been two years already, quite a long time. Hope to see you all next year!"

Highlights: Djokovic crashes out to Karatsev at Serbia Open

Tokyo 2020
'Okay!' - Surprised Djokovic gets asked for his shirt by opponent at the net
24/07/2021 AT 09:47
Tokyo 2020
Djokovic cruises past Dellien in comfortable first round victory
24/07/2021 AT 08:33